Sunday, March 30, 2008

Finding God and trying to smile.........

Lately finding something to smile about has been very difficult. Each day I am made aware of how weak and fatigued Steve is becoming. Each day I am confronted with the very real possibility that the man I love more than life itself, may not live. And each day I try to find something worth smiling about. Each day I ask God for a Miracle and that He would heal Steve. And each day we ( our family) face new challenges with his illness.

God doesn't answer my prayers the way I'd like them answered. However, each day He provides fellowship and friendship with neighbors such as Bud and Carolye who drove me to a fabric shop in Eugene to look for shower curtain material and then to Costco!! Whoopee--it was one of the first days that I have had totally to myself in over 3 1/2 months!! Craig, Steve's brother, was available to spend the day with Steve, watching hunting videos. (Not my idea of a good time, but I suppose shopping for fabric, wasn't one of theirs either!!)

God has allowed us to hear from distant friends. John Luik, one of Steve's college friends emailed him after not corresponding in years. My dear friends, Jim and Pat Hair, from Chicago sent me a long newsy letter. Good friends, Rick and Linda Hartwig called from Florida and we were able to talk for some time. All wonderful friends who are standing in the gap for the Lord. The Lord reassures us daily that He is present and still on the throne by surrounding us with good friends that we have made through the years. Each day we hear from wonderful friends and co-workers who send their love and best wishes for good health.

Steve's family came over on Sunday to do some "manual labor" for me. Small tasks and repairs that needed doing and they did it with a smile and a hug. All of them wanting to help in anyway while Steve is not able to do the many things he is used to doing.

This Friday, April 4th, is the Blood drive at the ESD and all of the slots are nearly filled. How wonderful that so many are volunteering to help in this very real and tangible way to help others. Then this Saturday, the ESD is holding a Garage Sale in the ESD parking lot. So if you have any extra junk you'd like to get rid of--please contact Rita Snyder at the ESD ( phone # is listed on the blog site) and she'll give you all the information about the Garage Sale. All proceeds will be for Steve and the expenses surrounding his chemo and travel back and forth to Portland.

This Saturday is also Steve's 58th b-day--so if you have time, you might want to send Steve a card or email him and wishing him a happy birthday. We praise the Lord daily for allowing us to spend another day together. Each day is very precious and I'm trying to think of a creative way to celebrate Steve's birthday. I cannot be reassured that his health would allow us to have friends over to celebrate with us--I pray that happens soon!!

He has had some good conversations with friends who have stopped by to visit and we are hoping that his health continues to be good, so others can stop by to visit with him. He fatigues easily, but really enjoys talking to everyone who has been over. He's been watching the Basketball play-offs on TV --so we girls have to be quiet while that's on tv.

Please remember us in your prayers. This is very difficult........... and each day I pray to the Lord, "If you won't heal him, please don't let Steve suffer!" His pain is currently under control by the epidural pain pump and we are so thankful for that.
He is starting to get headaches and I'm a little concerned about that.

Thank you dear friends & family---We couldn't do this without ALL of your love and support!! It really means so much to hear from you by dropping by for a visit, phone call, mail or email--each act is an assurance that God still cares for us during this very difficult time.

good nite,
mj and Steve

No comments: